In the third quarter, Matt Ryan throws a 6 yard swing pas to Tevin Coleman for a touchdown giving the Falcons a 28-3 lead.
In one of the most exciting Super Bowl games in history, the New England Patriots overcame a 28-3 deficit in the third quarter and defeated the Atlanta Falcons 34-28 In overtime. Tom Brady who struggled for the first 3 quarters of the game demonstrated why he is the greatest quarterback in NFL history.
In the first overtime game In Super Bowl history, Brady took his team downfield with a combination of running plays and passes culminating in a pitch-out to running back James White who dived into the end zone scoring the winning touchdown.
Despite the efforts of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, the patriots defeated the Atlanta Falcons in the first drive of overtime.
Brady was named the MVP and now is the only NFL quarterback to win 5 Super Bowl rings.
10 records were broken in Super Bowl LI:
- This was the first Overtime in Super Bowl history.
- This was the first time in Super Bowl history that a team overcame a 25 point deficit in the third quarter. The second greatest deficit that was overcome took place in Super Bowl 49 when the New England Patriots overcame a 10 point deficit against the Seattle Seahawks.
- Tom Brady is the first NFL quarterback to win 5 Super Bowl rings/ Lombardi Trophies
- Tom Brady is the first NFL quarterback to be named Super Bowl MVP 4 times
- Bill Belichick is the first NFL head coach to win 5 Super Bowls
- Bobby Kraft is the first NFL owner to win 5 Super Bowls
- Tom Brady is the first NFL quarterback to compete in 7 Super Bowls
- Chris Long(Defensive end for the New England Patriots) and Howie Long(retired defensive end for the Oakland Raiders) is the first father/son duo to win a Super Bowl ring
- Tom Brady went 43 for 62, the most pass attempts in NFL history
- Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have won 25 post seasons games, the most in NFL history